North Dakota: Legendary. Follow the trail of legends

Claimant -- Frequently Asked Questions

What do I do with my claim forms when I receive them?
Please read the instructions provided carefully and then complete your claim forms and mail them as soon as possible to:
ND Department of Trust Lands
1707 N 9th Street
PO Box 5523
Bismarck, ND 58506-5523

Can I fax or scan my claim forms?
No. Because the claim form must be signed in front of a Notary, we require the original signature.

How do I prove ownership of my property?
Proof of ownership is usually established by address verification or social security number. Something to show a business relationship with the reporting entity is helpful as well. If ownership becomes difficult to prove, claims will be reviewed on a case by case basis.

How do I obtain or provide proof of a previous address?
A copy of a bill, the top portion of a tax return, birth or death certificates, vehicle registrations, school transcripts, or other correspondence will suffice.

How do I provide proof of name change?
A copy of a marriage certificate or court document showing the name change will be sufficient.

What if I lost or do not have my social security card?
You may provide a copy of a tax return, insurance card, or any other document that shows your social security number. If you are unsure please contact the unclaimed property office for help.

What if I am reluctant to provide the Department of Trust Lands with my Social Security Number?
Personal information relating to unclaimed property claimants, including Social Security Numbers, is confidential. The Department of Trust Lands does NOT make such information available to the public.

What if the owner of the property is deceased?
These claims can still be paid under certain conditions. The person claiming the property should be the personal representative of the estate, the executor of the will, or someone otherwise legally authorized to conduct financial business on behalf of the deceased person.

What if the owner died without a will?
If the owner died intestate (without a will) the unclaimed property claim may still be paid. Please contact the unclaimed property office to obtain specific information.

More Questions that need answers?
Contact :
Unclaimed Property Division
1707 N 9th St
PO Box 5523
Bismarck, ND 58506-5523
Telephone: (701) 328-2800

Century Code for Unclaimed Property   Century Code
1707 North 9th Street | PO Box 5523 | Bismarck, ND 58506-5523 | Telephone: (701)328-2800 | Fax: (701)328-3650