North Dakota: Legendary. Follow the trail of legends

Holders -- Frequently Asked Questions

What happens to property that is not claimed by its owner?
All unclaimed property is held in trust in perpetuity by the state of North Dakota. All unclaimed property is invested in the Common Schools Trust Fund and the income is used to benefit North Dakota's kindergarten through high school students.

What efforts are made to find the unclaimed property owners?
The Unclaimed Property Division advertises twice in a newspaper of general circulation in each county. Division staff attend multiple trade shows and fairs each year to both publicize the names of property owners and provide information for property holders. In addition, radio and television appeals are made to get information out to property owners. The division also maintains an Internet site (as you know) which provides a variety of information to holders and owners.

Is a negative report required?
If you have nothing to report, we recommend filing a negative report, either via the website or on diskette or CD Rom in NAUPA format. Negative reports help establish a solid reporting history for your business in years when you don't have any property to remit.

When is the report due?
November 1 for all companies other than life insurance companies for whom the due date is May 1.

What is the cut off date?
June 30 for all companies other than life insurance companies for whom the cut off date is December 31.

When will the report forms be sent?
Report forms are not sent but can be downloaded, along with instructions, from this web site.

Is the property due with the report?
Yes. North Dakota requires that all property be remitted with the report.

Is due diligence necessary and when does that need to be done?
Yes. Due diligence is required to be completed no more than 120 days prior to the date of the report. It must be in the form of a written notice to the apparent owner at the owner's last known address informing the owner that the holder is in possession of the property.

What happens if the owner comes forward to collect their property after we have remitted it to the Unclaimed Property Division?
The customer can be referred directly to the Unclaimed Property Division or you can honor their request and then submit a request for reimbursement to the Unclaimed Property Division.

What should I do if I discover property that was missed when I filed the last unclaimed property report?
File, as soon as possible, an amended report for the year in which the error occurred. Call the Unclaimed Property Division if you want to clarify the situation.

Which state should receive our unclaimed property?
If the last address for the owner is a North Dakota address, unclaimed property should be sent to North Dakota. If the address is in another state, unclaimed property should be sent to that state. If there is no address the unclaimed property should be sent to the state of incorporation of a corporation or the state of domicile of the main office for any other type of organization.

More Questions that need answers?
Contact :
Unclaimed Property Division
1707 N 9th St
PO Box 5523
Bismarck, ND 58506-5523
Telephone: (701) 328-2800

Century Code for Unclaimed Property   Century Code
1707 North 9th Street | PO Box 5523 | Bismarck, ND 58506-5523 | Telephone: (701)328-2800 | Fax: (701)328-3650