Claimant/Owner - Frequently Asked Questions

Unclaimed property consists of intangible items that have been lost, misplaced or abandoned. Some examples are a payroll check that was lost, a savings account that was forgotten about, a dividend check mailed to a previous address and not forwarded, or life insurance proceeds due to a beneficiary. Unclaimed Property also consists of tangible items that were kept in a Safe Deposit Box at a financial institution such as a bank.

Feel free to contact our office directly to ensure the letter did in fact come from ND Unclaimed Property or another legitimate company. Our office does send out letters periodically informing potential owners they may have unclaimed property. Some companies use third party vendors to assist them in their efforts to locate owners as well. We are aware that scams exist and that some websites that will ask for a payment in order for you to retrieve your money back. YOU SHOULD NEVER HAVE TO PAY MONEY TO GET YOUR MONEY BACK and ND Unclaimed Property will NEVER ask you for money. If you have any questions about the legitimacy of a letter, email, or phone call that you have received please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Please read the instructions provided carefully and then complete your claim forms and mail them as soon as possible to:
ND Department of Trust Lands
1707 N 9th Street
PO Box 5523
Bismarck, ND 58506-5523

If you are unable to include the documents requested, feel free to contact our office for information about other items that may be acceptable.

No. The claim form must be signed in front of a Notary. We require the original signature.

These claims can still be paid under certain conditions. The person claiming the property must be the personal representative of the estate, the executor of the will, or someone otherwise legally authorized to conduct financial business on behalf of the deceased person.

If a Personal Representative has not been appointed or there is no will, please refer to the ND Legal Self Help Center. This guide for Informal Probate can be found at

Proof of ownership is usually established by social security number or address verification, or something showing a relationship with the reporting entity. If ownership becomes difficult to prove, claims will be reviewed on a case by case basis.

A copy of a bill, the top portion of a tax return, birth or death certificates, vehicle registrations, school transcripts, or other correspondence with the previous address listed on it will suffice.

A copy of a marriage certificate, a divorce decree or other court document showing the name change will be sufficient.

You may provide a copy of a tax return, insurance card, or any other document that shows your social security number.

It is important to read the letter carefully as each letter is unique. Please provide the documents requested in the body of the letter to continue the processing of your claim. If you require additional time to secure the requested documents, please contact our office for an extension.

We understand and respect your concern to protect your personal information. However, in order for us to ensure the property is reunited with the rightful owner we may request specific information. Personal information including Social Security Numbers is confidential and the Department of Trust Lands does NOT make such information available to the public.

If you are uncomfortable mailing this information, you can drop it off at our office during normal business hours or contact us directly to make other arrangements.

The reporting entity is required by law to attempt to contact you before turning it over to the ND Unclaimed Property Division.

The Unclaimed Property Division is required by law to advertise all newly reported property annually in each official county newspaper.

More Questions that need answers?
Unclaimed Property Division
1707 N 9th St
PO Box 5523
Bismarck, ND 58506-5523
Telephone: (701) 328-2800

Century Code for Unclaimed Property   Century Code

1707 North 9th Street | PO Box 5523 | Bismarck, ND 58506-5523 | Telephone: (701)328-2800 | Fax: (701)328-3650

Adobe Reader| Privacy policy| Home page| Security policy| Disclaimer

© 2019 North Dakota Department Of Trust Lands